CHECK YOUR BALANCE!
Did you know???
- 1 in 4 Americans aged 65+ falls every year
- 1 out of 5 falls causes a serious injury such as a broken bone or head injury
- Falling is NOT a typical part of aging!
What Conditions Make You More Likely to Fall?
- Lower body weakness
- Difficulties with walking and balance
- Some prescription medicines and even some over-the-counter medicines can affect balance and how steady you are on your feet
- Vision problems
- Foot pain or poor footwear
- Home hazards or dangers such as throw rugs or clutter that can be tripped over
How can you test your balance at home?
- Find a stable surface such as a kitchen counter, back of your couch, or back of a kitchen chair.
- Hang on and try standing on one leg.
- If you struggle to stand on one leg without holding on, hold on with 1 finger from each hand…it will help a lot!
- If you can stand on one leg for 30 seconds or better you have good balance and therefore LOW fall risk!
- Extra challenge: stand on one leg holding on and CLOSE your eyes!
COME IN AND HAVE YOUR BALANCE EVALUATED!
Physical Therapists are trained to identify the reasons why your balance is worsening and/or why falls may be occurring.
** Insurance covers Physical Therapy for treatment aimed at fall prevention and improving balance!! Call us at (541) 306-1099 to set up an evaluation and let us help you stay safe, stay active and remain independent!