A Thorough Physical Therapy Evaluation is Where Treatment Begins
Runners can suffer from a variety of injuries and there are numerous reasons why a runner might be experiencing pain. The first thing your physical therapist will do is perform an evaluation. This consists of the following:
- Your past medical history
- Your current complaints
- What makes the problem better and worse
- Any past or present treatment
Then a thorough physical exam is performed including:
- Foot, knee, hip, pelvis mechanics
- Observation and analysis of your running style (gait analysis)
- Examination of your footwear and any orthoses if used
Video Gait Analysis
We will video you from different angles while you are running on our treadmill then re-play it in slow motion on a TV screen in the clinic to review
various mechanics with you.
- Things that are identified and can be improved, controlled, or corrected after video analysis:
- Arm swing
- Stride length
- Otherwise, we match up mechanical abnormalities with weaknesses or
other issues identified with the Initial PT Evaluation and provide you
specific exercises to help correct.
- Capture Detailed Movement Analytics such as:
- Ground Reaction Forces
- Initial Peak Acceleration
- Ground contact time
- Importance of measuring Symmetry: Runners are always momentarily in a single leg stance so it’s important to understand what is happening on each side individually and then compare overall symmetry.
- Therefore, the DorsaVi sensors also have a module that will measure single limb stability through these functional movements:
- Double leg squat
- Single leg squat
- Single leg hop
We then use this data to highlight abnormal findings in order to:
- Identify injury risks
- Provide insights to treatments
- Guide your rehabilitation
- Track Progress and Improve performance
- Facilitate return to sport decisions
DorsaVi Sensor Analysis is covered by all insurances, but if you do not have insurance we also have cash rate options available.
- Full Evaluation=$200
- What you get: Full physical therapy evaluation examining your mobility, muscle strength, and proprioception, video gait analysis, and DorsaVi analysis.
- DorsaVi Running Assessment Only=$100
- What you get: Interpretation of Running Assessment Data and Video Gait Analysis.
- DorsaVi Knee Assessment Only=$40
- What you get: Interpretation of results of double leg squat, single leg squat, and single leg hop